20120808 Egypt mounts airstrikes against Sinai sites where it believes militants are active - WP 書案

Egypt mounts airstrikes against Sinai sites where it believes militants are active

By Ernesto Londoño, Published: August 8The Washington Post

 

CAIRO — Egypt showed new toughness Wednesday in confronting militants in the restive Sinai Peninsula, with the military launching overnight airstrikes and President Mohamed Morsi ordering a security shake-up.

이집트가 수요일 불온한 시니아 반도에서 무장반도들에 맞서며 철야 공습과 모하메드 모르시 대통령이 안보상의 개혁을 주문한 것으로써 새로이 강경함을 보였다.

 

The assault marked the first time Egyptian fighter planes have carried out strikes in the region since the end of the country’s war with Israel in 1973. They appear to have been carried out with the blessing of Israel, which has pushed Egypt to aggressively tackle the rise of extremism along its border.

이 강습은 1973년 이스라엘과의 전쟁이 종결된 이래로 역내에 대해 이집트 전투기가 최초로 공습을 수행한 것으로 기록되었다. 공습은 이집트가 국경일대의 극단주의자의 욱승에 맞서도록 압력을 가해 온 이스라엘의 묵인 하에 수행된 것으로 보인다.

 

The strikes on Egyptian soil came three days after armed militants in the Sinai killed 16 members of Egypt’s security ­forces, broke through the border into Israel and attempted to launch a separate attack there. Among security officials fired by Morsi on Wednesday were Egypt’s intelligence chief, Murad Mowafi, and the governor of North Sinai province, Abdel Wahab Mabrouk; the president also ordered his defense minister to relieve the head of the country’s military police, a spokesman said.

이집트 영토에 대한 공격은 시나이의 무장 반도들이 이집트 보안군 소속의 16명을 살해하고 국경을 넘어 이스라엘로 들어가 그곳에서 별개의 공격을 감행한 3일 후에 이루어졌다. 모르시에 의해 수요일에 해직당한 국방관계자 중에는 이집트 정보국의 수장인 무라드 모와피, 북시나이 주의 지사인 압델 와하브 마브룩이 있으며, 대통령은 또한 국방장관에게 국가 군사경찰 지휘자를 혁직시키도록 명령했다고 대변인이 말했다.

 

The steps signaled a clear, if belated, acknowledgment from Morsi, Egypt’s first Islamist president, that Islamist militants who have taken root in the Sinai pose a significant challenge to Egypt. But they also raised questions about whether Egypt’s U.S.-funded military is capable of addressing the threat from the extremists, who advocate self-governance under sharia, or Islamic law.

이 행보들은 시나이에 기반한 이슬람주의 무장반도들이 이집트에 명징한 도전{위협}을 가하고 있다는 이집트의 첫번째 이슬람주의 대통령인 모르시의 때늦더라도 명백한 인정을 보여줬다. 그러나 그것들은 또한 미국에 의해 재정적으로 지원받는 이집트의 군사력이 샤리아 혹은 이슬람법에 의한 자치를 옹호하는 극단주의자들로부터의 위협을 다룰 수 있는지에 대한 의문들을 제기했다.

 

The use of warplanes by Egypt appeared to show the limitations of a military apparatus whose dependence on heavy tanks and fighter aircraft reflect an orientation more toward land warfare than a counterinsurgency campaign.

이집트에 의한 전투기의 활용은 중전차와 전투기에의 의존이 COIN 전역보다는 지상전에 정향되어 있는 것을 반영하는 군사조직의 한계점들을 노정하는 것으로 보인다.

 

The Egyptian army is well-equipped,’’ said Zeinab Abul-Magd, a history professor at the American University in Cairo and Oberlin College in Ohio who has studied the Egyptian military. “They have tanks and planes to crush these terror groups. But they have not trained their officers or soldiers to deal with the problems of Sinai.”

이집트 군대는 잘 장비되어 있습니다.” 카이로의 미국 대학교의 역사 교수이자 오하이오의 오벌린 칼리지에서 이집트 군사력을 연구한 제이납 아불-마그드는 말한다. “그들은 이들 테러 그룹들을 격파할 수 있는 전차와 항공기를 갖고 있습니다. 그러나 그들은 장교와 사병들이 시나이의 문제를 다룰 수 있도록 훈련해오지는 못했습니다.”

 

Egyptian state television reported Wednesday that overnight bomb strikes, carried out in response to a fresh wave of attacks on checkpoints, had killed at least 20 suspected militants. Sinai residents disputed that account in interviews, saying the offensive appeared to have been merely a show of force and a publicity stunt, and it remained unclear Wednesday whether the airstrikes involved bombs or missiles.

이집트 국영TV는 수요일 보도하면서 검문소들에 대한 새로운 파상공격에 대한 대응으로 수행된 철야 공습이 최소한 20명의 무장반도로 생각되는 자들을 죽였다고 했다. 시나이 주민들은 인터뷰들에서 그런 설명에 대해 이의를 보이며, 공세가 단순히 무력 시위이자 공적으로 주의를 끌기 위한 행동이라고 말했고, 공습이 폭탄이나 미사일을 수반했는지는 수요일까지도 불명이다.

 

The deployment of troops and use of force in the Sinai is governed by a U.S.-brokered peace treaty between Egypt and Israel that has been in effect since 1979. A senior Israeli official declined to say whether Israel had been asked to sign off on the strikes, but cited “ongoing contacts’’ between the two countries.

시나이에서의 부대 전개와 군사력 사용은 1979년 이래로 발효된 미국이 중재한 이집트와 이스라엘 간의 평화조약에 의해 통제되고 있다. 고위 이스라엘 당국자는 이스라엘이 공격들을 재가하기로 요청받았는지의 여부에 대해 언급하기를 거부했으나, 양국 간에 진행 중인 접촉들이 있다고 말했다.

 

Robert Springboard, an expert on the Egyptian military at the Naval Postgraduate School in California, said the country’s armed forces have never been eager to take on extremist cells operating in the Sinai. When militant groups carried out bombings in the 1990s and the past decade, Egypt’s intelligence service and Interior Ministry took the lead in the fight against them.

캘리포니아의 해군대학 대학원 이집트 군사력 전문가인 로버트 스프링보드는 이집트의 군대가 시나이에서 활동하는 극단주의자 조직과 대전하는 데에 적극적이었던 적이 없다고 말한다. 무장반도 조직들이 1990년대와 지난 10년 간 폭탄테러를 행했을 때, 이집트의 정보부처와 내무성이 그들에 대한 전투를 주도했다.

 

The position taken by the military was, ‘This is really not our job,’ Springboard said in a phone interview.

군대에 의해 취해진 태도는 이건 정말 우리 임무가 아니다라는 것이었습니다.” 스프링보드는 전화 인터뷰에서 말했다.

 

Much of the Sinai has descended into lawlessness since Egypt’s wintertime revolt in 2011, as police stations in the Sinai were looted and Bedouin tribes and militants began to stockpile weapons streaming in from Libya. For now, Islamic courts are the preferred forum for settling disputes, and security forces seldom stray from the main highway. The area has the potential to become a powder keg, with some jihadists vowing to beat back any attempt by security forces to assert control there.

시나이의 대부분은 2011년 이집트의 겨울 봉기 이래로 시나이의 경찰서들이 약탈당하고 베두인 부중과 무장반도들이 리비아로부터 유입되는 무기들을 축적하기 시작하면서 무법상태에 빠져들었다. 현재 이슬람 법정은 분쟁을 중재하는 데에 선호되는 공소이며, 보안군은 거의 주도로에서 벗어나지 않고 있다. 해 지역은 일부 성전주의자들이 그곳에서의 통제를 확고히 하기 위한 보안군의 어떤 시도도 격퇴하겠다고 맹세하면서 화약통이 될 잠재력을 갖고 있다.

 

Morsi is under heavy pressure to endorse a crushing crackdown on militants in the region, but any missteps or abuses could trigger a backlash from Islamists, his main political base. At the same time, he faces resistance from top generals over the extent of his powers, and it was not clear Wednesday whether the military had signed off on the ouster of security officials.

모르시는 해 지역의 무장반도들에 대해 치명적인 강력 진압을 승인하도록 중한 압박 하에 놓여 있으나, 어떤 실수나 {강제력} 남용도 그의 주된 정치적 기반인 이슬람주의자들로부터의 반발을 야기할 수 있다. 동시에 그는 최고의 장군들로부터 그의 권력의 수준에 대해 저항에 직면해 있고, 수요일에는 국방 당국자들의 출면에 대해 군대가 승인했는지의 여부가 불명확했다.

 

On Tuesday, Morsi stayed away from the military funeral for the 16 slain soldiers — a conspicuous absence for a leader whose thorny relationship with the military is being closely watched. Angry Egyptians heckled and tried to assault Prime Minister Hesham Kandil when he arrived for prayers before the funeral, prompting his security detail to whisk him out.

화요일, 모르시는 피살당한 16명의 병사들을 위한 군의 장례에 거리를 두었는데 군대와의 곤란한 관계가 가까이 보여지는 명백한 지도자의 부재였다. 분노한 이집트인들은 헤샴 칸딜 총리가 장례식 전에 기도를 위해 도착했을 때 그가 국방 관련의 설명을 한 것이 그를 쫓겨나도록 만들면서 그를 야유하고 공격했다.

 

The United States, which has given the Egyptian military more than $35 billion in the past three decades, has pressed the generals in Cairo to shift their focus to asymmetric threats, such as insurgencies, rather than plan primarily for a conventional war. U.S. officials made that case in a January 2010 meeting with senior Egyptian officials but encountered resistance, according to a cable written by then-U.S. Ambassador Margaret Scobey that was published by the WikiLeaks whistleblowing Web site.

지난 30년간 이집트 군대에 350억 달러를 공여한 미국은 카이로의 장군들이 주로 재래적 전쟁을위해 계획하기보다 폭란과 같은 비대칭적 위협에 초점을 맞추도록 압력을 가해 왔다. 전 미국 대사 마가렛 스코비에 의해 작성되었고 위키릭스의 휘슬블로윙 웹 사이트에 의해 공개된 전신에 따르면 미국 당국자들은 2010 1월 고위 이집트 당국자들과의 회의에서 그러한 사례를 보였으나 저항에 직면했다고 한다.

 

No group has claimed responsibility for Sunday’s attack, in which a band of gunmen commandeered armored Egyptian military vehicles after killing the soldiers at an Egyptian checkpoint and used the vehicles to ram an Israeli border crossing. The attempted infiltration was thwarted by an Israeli airstrike.

어떤 그룹도 이집트 검문소에서 병사들을 죽인 후 이집트 장갑차량을 징발해 차량을 이스라엘 국경을 넘는 것을 강행하는 데에 사용한 일요일의 공격을 주도했다고 주장하지 않았다. 시도된 침투는 이스라엘의 공습에 의해 돈좌되었다.

 

After Egypt launched its own overnight strikes early Wednesday, Ibrahim el-Meneey, a tribal leader in the Sinai who acknowledges the presence of extremist militant cells in the area, said community leaders saw no evidence of fatalities. The only visible damage, he said, was a charred Toyota that he described as unoccupied when it came under fire.

이집트가 수요일 이른 시각 철야 공습을 감행한 후, 시나이의 종락 지도자이자 역내의 극단주의자 무장반도 조직들의 존재를 알고 있는 이브라힘 엘-메니이는 지역 지도자들이 인명피해의 증거를 보지 못했다고 말했다. 그가 말하기로 유일한 가시적인 피해는 착탄되었을 때 사람이 타지는 않았던 것으로 설명한 타버린 토요타 한 대뿐이었다.

 

Ahmad Abu Deraa, a local journalist, said he followed Egyptian ground troops to the sites of the strikes early Wednesday but saw no evidence of casualties.

지역 저널리스트인 아흐마드 아부 데라는 그가 공격장소까지 이집트 지상군을 따라갔지만 사상자 발생의 증거는 보지 못했다고 말했다.

 

Mona Zamalot, an activist based in the nearby city of al-Arish, said residents there and other densely populated areas in the Sinai are worried that the gunmen will leave the wilderness and seek refuge in those relatively urban areas if the crackdown intensifies.

근변의 알-아리쉬 시에 기반한 활동가인 모나 자말롯은 그곳과 다른 시나이의 인구밀집 지역 주민들이 만약 진압이 강화되면 무장반도들이 황야를 떠나 상대적으로 도시화된 지역들로 피신할까 우려하고 있다고 말했다.

 

If the militants stay in the desert and mountains, they will fall,” she said. “They want to go into the cities.”

무장반도들이 사막과 산에 머문다면 그들은 패배할겁니다.” 그녀는 말했다. “그들은 도시들로 들어가고 싶어합니다.”

 

Ingy Hassieb and Henry Shull contributed to this report.

 


덧글

댓글 입력 영역